Do you love Google? My love of Google and Meet-ups brought me to Vancouver Google Technology User Group (GTUG)Meetup at Waverfront where I had the pleasure of meeting Google’s own, Tim Bray, Developer Advocate at Google http://www.tbray.org/
Tim was officially here to Developers to speak about The Android Ecosystem. This is a topic that I expected to understand about 20% of this subject. To my delight Tim’s fantastic talk turned into night of great insights about the following:
- The Google culture
- Why my Apps work (or do not work) the way I want them to,
- What to exiting things to look forward to in the future phones such as the iphone 5 and coming Android phones.
Tim gave a brilliant talk. Thanks to the great sponsors (Thanks Wavefront and AirG- the Vancouver’ mobile tech business that matter)
1 of 3 part summary
Google Android talk Lightly toasted
Google Culture/ insight:
- Google’s policy is looking to mobile technology first then the rest Why? The number of # mobile devices in use today are almost equaling the population of the world.
Today there are 300,000 average daily activation, and 100,000 apps.
Why an android over iphone?:
- Android is Open source
- Low barrier
- Clean API
- Nothing hidden
- Potential cost saving to consumers
Google believes in revenue via ads” that’s why they invested in Admob. Google will have an in-app store soon
- The app store will be fantastic for developers. Apps can be found in google.com search- BUT no news yet on this
- Google is focussed on chrome and html5 for the next span of time
Why doesn’t google buy Skype? (funny MS beat them to it) — Tim’s answer Google voice. How does Google voice work – you speak in your phone. Then your voice goes to google server for translating it. This translation service is updating and improving regularly.
“iPhone and android the new Coke vs Pepsi “